Friday, April 29, 2011

PostGIS - my first visual map


  • Today I learned a lot about postGIS, but due to the fact that I'm a bit tired at the moment, I'll post only this:


[caption id="attachment_278" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Fast food restaurants in America"][/caption]

The data was taken from public shape files available over the internet and loaded into postgresql through the postGIS framework.

It only demonstrates the visualization of geographic data.  One data layer  draws the roads and another the POINT locations of fast food restaurants. The next stage in this learning path is to make spatial queries, i.e. queries that imply certain restrictions such as proximity.

I would love to make maps about interesting things such as U.S. probable clandestine prisons location, U.S. interventions over the world, current world oil  reserves and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment