Monday, April 25, 2011

Introduction to the RFCOMM protocol / Open laszlo / JfreeChart / postGIS / nevernote


  • Today I'm learning the main means of communication between bluetooth devices: the RFCOMM protocol.

    [caption id="attachment_255" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="RFCOMMprotocol"][/caption]


And a brief introduction to the API usage (for left handed people):

[caption id="attachment_256" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="RFCOMMAPI"][/caption]

I was being sarcastic about the "brief" introduction, gosh the API is huge!

  • In learning the inner workings of spagoBI. The underlying technology it uses for dashboards and charting  is Open Laszlo and JfreeChart, gosh those tools are so beautiful; with the former you use a xml-like language to create windows, forms, buttons, etc,  and it's very intuitive, of the latter I don't know much, but you can create quite stunning and versatile charts (but the developer guide is about 700 pages!!!!). As I mentioned, this are the underlying technologies...the issue is to get a grasp of the Spago Engine implementation.

  • I'm learning about GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and open source implementations, and I'm in love with it (just like my boss), the possibilities of useful applications are endless!!! Take this example: You forget about what a simple relational database can do and try to query something like this: "Give me the number of houses within two miles of the coastline requiring evacuation in the event of a hurricane", not very straightforward huh, but with it GIS you can handle efficiently this kind of problems and more, much more. PostGis is the implementation for Postgresql.

  • Nevernote is a clon of evernote available on windows and mac but not on linux. It's useful for having a local notepad that you synchronize online to access it anywhere you need it. I take notes on everything most of the time (as you can see), so tools like those are a must to me.


http://nevernote.sourceforge.net/

http://www.evernote.com/

[caption id="attachment_257" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Nevernote"][/caption]

I used alien to transform the deb package into rpm for my opensuse, and so far, so good.

2 comments:

  1. que onda we la verdad rifas mas tu explicando

    ReplyDelete
  2. esa rux esta como que no le entendemos

    ReplyDelete